Monday, April 2, 2012

Response to Gianni's Post: Get Out of Hell Free Card


In a metamorphic sense, I believe that we are/were all fallen angels because we all wish to regain redemption. There have had to be a given point in time where one has turned their back on their religious views and God. 
Just like you Gianni, I was Catholic raised. I was baptized when I was a baby and brought to church every Sunday, until the age of about 12. This was when I stopped going on a routinely basis. I stopped going because I felt the boredom of sitting in a Church and my attention span could just not handle this anymore. I also stopped going because I felt that I have learnt all that I needed too, to start developing my own perspective of self identity and love. This did not mean however, that I turned by back on God and that I felt like I have to redeem my self for his acceptance once again. I was brought up through Catholic morals and values. This makes me always reflect back to my theological beliefs when engaging with other forms of perspective. The fact that I know my own morals and still respect the Catholic religion, does not make me feel as if I need to redeem the acceptance of God. 
One point I came across in your blog was about The Simpson’s episode. Quoting;
Lisa: Why are you dedicating your life to blasphemy?
Homer: Don't worry, sweetheart. If I'm wrong, I'll recant on my deathbed. 
I feel as if some people still go about blasphemously living their life. The fact that it is reinforced in this show can feed inadequate youth distorted messages. “If all goes wrong on your deathbed, all you have to do is repent and God will accept you,” is definitely not a way of living life. Saying a couple words of recant on your deathbed that could possibly detour your path to hell is quite offense to Christian/Catholic morals. 
I believe that one should never forget about their own morals and theological beliefs (if they have any) even when being feed by distorted messages from popular culture. 

Link to Gianni's Post:

No comments:

Post a Comment